This past month I have been busy designing and sewing the quilt for our Quilters’ Quest shop hop this year. Each of the 10 shops is creating a quilt using the swatches that questers will collect along the way. There are 60 ten-inch squares in all and they are based on our color scheme of sunset colors.
My first challenge was in working with all of those bright colors without any dark or neutral tones to calm them down. I decided I would add some neutrals and darks along the way, and would also work to shade the colors together.
I came up with a design fairly fast and have been sewing for several weeks now. I felt like I have already pieced this quilt three times. I keep changing my mind. I did add some darker pieces in one of the shading groups, but then I decided it was too dark.
So I took them apart and removed some of the dark I had added and liked it better.
The next challenge was in trying to decide what border print to use. I auditioned six different ones and in order to see how they looked, I had to sew them into the triangles.
My choices came down to two different borders.
I didn’t like the Rajasthan border, even though the colors were perfect. The value was too close to the other fabrics so the star points did not stand out. I finally opted for the dark of the Carnival border. It seemed to bring in some neutrals that calmed down the brightness of the other colors. I selected a neutral background that coordinates with the border.
I will keep working on it and have more photos in a couple of weeks as the quilt progresses. Stay tuned.