We aim for perfection, but sometimes we fall short. Corrections to patterns will be posted here as we become aware of them.
Border Print Tree Skirt
Shenandoah Baskets (2012 BOM)
Solstice (2013 BOM)
Summer Lily Table Runner
The correct yardage requirement for Fabric 12 is a fat quarter (FQ), not 1/2 yard.
Border Print Tree Skirt
In the original pattern, the pattern correctly instructs the quilter to cut nine triangles of each border print motif. However the illustration on page 3 shows twelve of each being cut. The illustration in the downloadable pattern has been updated to show nine triangles of each motif.
The original pattern included instructions for cutting the B patches using a template or by cutting a square and then sub-cutting it on the diagonal into triangles. The latter method has been eliminated in the revised pattern. Using the template to cut the B triangles is more precise and we believe it will result in a more satisfying project for you.
The original pattern included an incorrect cutting layout for Fabrics 1, 4, 7 and 10 on page 7. The correct layout is provided below. The fabric yardage indicated in the pattern is sufficient to cut the required number of patches when they are layed out as shown in the revised layout.
Revised Cutting Layout Page (Page 7)
In addition, the Block B image in Step 4 and the quilt images have been refined to better reflect how the fabric points come together in the center of the block.
Revised Block & Quilt Images
Da Vinci Quilt
The free downloadable pattern currently posted has all known corrections made. If you downloaded the pattern prior to August 2011, you should make the following changes on your copy of the pattern:
- on page 1, change the yardage of Fabric 1 (Black) from 3 1/2 yards to 3 1/4 yards
- on page 1 Cutting Directions, change the Fabric 1 cutting directions as follows:
Fabric 1: the first set of strips should be cut 6 3/4" wide not 6 1/4" wide; and for the third set of strips, cut five strips (not 15) across the width of fabric and measuring 3 1/2"
- on Figure 2 on page 4, the strip-sets in the Reverse Unit are labeled incorrectly: they should be numbered 6-5-4-3-2-1
The free downloadable pattern currently posted is correct. Earlier versions of the pattern had this error:
- the Important Fabric Note on page 1 of the pattern should have recommended ¾ yard of fabric for the wide border, rather than 5/8 yard. (5/8 yard or 22½" is exactly the amount required to cut the border strips but a few inches extra allows for straightening the fabric.) This is only applicable if you are making the quilt using the pre-cut project Pixie Strips; the yardage provided on page 4 of the pattern is sufficient.
Four Winds Quilt
There is a correction to the Four Winds pattern that appeared in the January/February 2012 issue of McCall’s Quilting. Cutting Instructions for the Black print should be:
- 9 strips 2 1/2” x width of fabric (WOF) for binding
- 36 squares 3” x 3”
- 144 squares 2 1/2” x 2 1/2”
Step 1 text should read:
Referring to Diagram I, and aligning as shown, stitch teal texture 4” strip to top of black print 3” square. In similar manner, add teal texture 5” strip to left side. Draw diagonal line on wrong side of black 2 1/2” square. Place marked square on corner where teal strips meet, right side together, aligning raw edges. Stitch on drawn line; trim away and discard excess fabric. Open and press to make pieced corner. Continue in this manner, adding strips and squares as shown to complete block A corner. Make 20.
Diagram I should show first black square to be 3”. All other black squares in Diagram I are correct at 2 1/2”.
According to the Fons and Porter magazine corrections, Fractured Star, Love of Quilting, January/February 2013, under Pieced Diamond Assembly, step #4 should read:
4. Using 5/16" seam allowance, join 1 #1 segment, 1 #2 segment, and 1 #3 segment as shown in Pieced Diamond Diagram.
If you downloaded or purchased the pattern prior to September 2013, you should make the following change on your copy of the pattern:
On page 1, Step 2, if you are using a kit, the middle border fabric is provided in a 20" x 1 7/8 yard section. If you are not using a kit, cut 6 strips measuring 5" WOF. Make two lengths by sewing three strips together. From one length, cut 2 strips 54" long, from the second length cut two strips 48" long.
Golden Album Quilt Book
- On page 10, the directions for cutting the border should read as follows. (This correction was made to most copies before shipping.)
From Fabric 12 [not Fabric 2]
Border 2: Reserve four 63" strips of 2 3/4" border stripe
- On page 36, the block size under the page title should read 10 1/8", not 6 3/8". All other information is correct.
Harlequin Charm Quilt
Four Framing Strips (rather than two) measuring 2" x 75" need to be cut from the black fabric. (The kit includes sufficient fabric.) The revised Cutting Layout is below. In addition, change the second paragraph in Step 4 to read (change is bolded): As in Diagram 3, left, sew a long side of each unit to the 2" x 75" black framing strips. (You will need two 75" strips for each side.)
- Step 2, Fabric 10: Set aside 3/4 yard for binding, not one yard as noted. This provides sufficient yardage to make double-fold, straight-grain binding.
- Step 2, Half-Block Units, Fabrics 5 & 11: The strips need to be cut 3 1/16" wide to match the template included in the pattern (vs. 2 7/8" specified).
- Step 2, Fabric 12: the Note on Cutting Border Print patches is on page 3, not the following page.
Moon Glow Quilt
The pattern update for Palette #11 (released in January 2012) contained inaccurate cutting instructions on Page 1 of Month12. (The cutting widths were too generous.) The cutting instructions have been updated and can be viewed and printed here:
Revised Moon Glow Block 12 Cutting Instructions
Pacific Rim Quilt
In Steps 3 and 6 on Page 2 of the original pattern, the amount the strips should be staggered was incorrect. The strips should be staggered 1 3/4" (not 2 1/4") to obtain the 45° angle. The downloadable pattern was corrected on our website on 11/04/2011.
The cutting instructions for Fabric 8 were incorrect and should read to cut 3½" squares.
- one page 1/Step 1, the cutting instructions for Fabric 1 indicated that 36 squares measuring 4½" should be cut and then cut once on the diagonal, in lieu of using Template A to cut 72 triangles.The correct measurements for the squares is 4¼".
Shenandoah Baskets Quilt
In Step 2, the width of the Fabric 6 sashing strips was left out of the pattern. Change the last sentence in the second paragraph to read:
Cut a total of seventy-two strips measuring 1" x 14½" from these pieces.
In addition, 36 (not 24) sashing strips are required. The last sentence in Step 2 and the caption under the sashing strip should read Make 36.
Solstice (2013 BOM)
- On page 1 of the Consolidated Cutting Instructions (available with the purchased version of the pattern only), there is an error for Fabric 1 - Alternate Block. The cutting instructions for All Methods should read (24) 1½" x 6½", not 16½".
- Block 1: Step 2 on page 1 should read Foundations, not Both Methods. If you are making the blocks using templates only, follow the instructions and illustrations on the following page in the section labeled Templates.
- The Block 1 foundations are mislabelled on early versions of the pattern so the completed foundations don't match the pattern illustrations. Foundation 1-2 has a slight angle on the short side.
- Block 9: In Step 3, the first small triangles are labeled 9-C; they should be 9-E. The instructions for that step should also refer to 9-E. (Corrected in downloadable version 09/10/2013.)
The wrong measurement was provided for the length of the strip-sets at the end of Step 1. The last line should read: Your strip-sets should measure 6" x 63".
The strip cutting instructions on pages 4 and 5 of the Sophia pattern were revised since it's original printing. Please compare your pattern with the download version and use the download version. The yardage chart on page 7 was also revised.
Star Sapphire Quilt
In this pattern written by McCall's Quilting, the fabric descriptions for Fabrics 5 and 13 are switched. Fabric 5 is the purple/teal paisley (1/2 yd) and Fabric 13 is blue/olive paisley (3/8 yd).
Summer Lily Quilt
There are no problems with the downloadable version of the pattern. However, Template J, as printed on the tissues that are part of the kit or pattern when purchased from Jinny Beyer Studio, is inaccurate. A corrected version of Template J is included here. If you downloaded and printed a copy of the pattern from the Jinny Beyer website, there is no need to print this correction.
Summer Lily Table Runner
The Colorway Guide at Unit C should read: Unit C: Make 2 using 10" strips.