- jinny's corner
- Ask Jinny!
Have a question for Jinny?
Use the button to the right to submit your question for consideration. Jinny cannot personally answer all questions, but answers to common questions will be posted here.
- How Can I Better Choose Colors for a Quilt? Sometimes I get inspired by the colors I see on a walk or on a piece of artwork. But I find it really hard to choose fabrics that capture the… [read more]
- How can I determine the value of fabrics? Understanding color value and what is light, medium and dark is something I'm having a bit of a problem with. Can this be learned or is that eye for color… [read more]
- How can I create curves using border print fabric? Jinny, your Windows quilt is so beautiful. I understand there's no pattern -- which is fine because I think it's beyond my skill level! However, I'm curious as to how… [read more]
- How can I convert a foundation-pieced block for traditional quiltmaking techniques? I love to hand piece yet I've noticed that many of the kits, including the new Summer Lily [quilt], seem to show how to only make the quilt using strip… [read more]
- What exactly is a "scant" seam allowance and do I need to worry about it? Jinny, I’m working on a pre-cut block of the month quilt and the instructions call for a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance. If I hand piece rather than machine, do… [read more]
- Is there a trick to attaching borders to a quilt with bias edges? I am relatively new to quilting. Recently I tried a small quilt with squares on point. All the outside edges are on the bias, so when I try to attach… [read more]
- When you're traveling by plane, how are you able to sew? Because of the security nowadays, I can't imagine they would allow you to bring along any scissors and if that's so, how do you work around this? What about pins,… [read more]
- How do you bind your quilts? I have such a hard time getting my quilt bindings to lay smooth and even. I also struggle with getting the binding ends to fit together nicely. How do you… [read more]