Introducing Starstruck, Our 2014 Block of the Month Quilt
I’m really excited to introduce our 2014 Block of the Month quilt, called Starstruck, and thought I’d share how this particular quilt came to be.
Designing my quilts is an iterative process. Often, what I envision at the start takes on a life of its own, and by the time my design is completed it looks very different from how I thought it would look. I enjoy the journey, and when the design is finished I have learned along the way.
When I first created the blocks for Starstruck, I wanted 12 star blocks alternated with a “setting” block. The setting blocks were completed filled in. The blocks looked lovely by themselves but when I put them together with the stars in a repeated pattern, they looked choppy.
Wanting more flow to my design, I changed the alternate block. I experimented with different options and finally took some of the small squares away from the setting block so that more background showed. That improved the design tremendously.
Next I changed the dark background to a cream to give you variety. But when I added the light background I lost the design continuity I had with the deeper color, and the blocks again looked too “individual” and static.
This time I consulted with my staff, and together we added small dark corner triangles to each of the stars.
What a difference! Now the squares harmonize and look great together and the overall effect is just what I had hoped for.
What makes this quilt so enjoyable to make is that each alternating block is different to give you added variety and a new challenge each month!
In my next post I’ll talk about how the Starstruck quilt’s color ways came to be.